Ashbourne seeking applications for two coaching roles
May 10, 2022 5:15 pm Site Editor
Ashbourne RFC was established in 1974 and competes in Leinster League Division 1A and the All-Ireland Junior Cup. Recent honours include All-Ireland Junior Cups in 2017, ‘18 and ‘19 and Leinster League Division 1A champions in 2018 and 2022.
The club has three senior men’s teams, women’s and girls’ teams and a vibrant minis and youth section with teams at every age group from U-6 to U-18. The club has some of the best grounds, pitches and facilities in Ireland.
This season the club finished fourth in Leinster League Div 1A and reached the final of the Provincial Towns Cup. By finishing fourth, the club will compete in the All-Ireland Junior Cup in 2022/2023.
The positions are that of Club Head Coach and a Player/Coach for the first team.
Club Head Coach
This role would suit an ambitious coach/player who is seeking an opportunity to develop their coaching skill set and work with one of the more successful League Division 1A teams in Leinster and Ireland over the last decade. The Head Coach will be required to develop the structures already in place but add their own enhancements.
The successful candidate should be ambitious and looking to develop the Ashbourne senior squad and merge the club’s talented young players and progress them into the senior sides. The ultimate challenge will be to ready the squad to compete for the chance to play in the AIL.
- Previous coaching experience of at least Leinster League Division 1A (or equivalent) or AIL.
- Must have a minimum accreditation at coaching IRFU level Stage 3 or higher
- Be a good communicator, a proven innovator and show strong leadership values and skills
- Be able to identify strengths and challenge weaknesses
- Be willing to work on player development and retention as well as attracting new players to the club into a positive rugby environment
- To bring a re-energisation to a progressive club and strive to develop all players to ultimately gain continued success
- Be able to work with all coaches to develop a structure and game plan to deliver this success
- Ensure there is a strong positive team culture and communication among players and coaches
- Work with the club’s Coaching Coordinator (Youth) to ensure that there is a development and transition pathway to the senior squads
- Develop a medium and long-term plan with set goals for the senior playing squads
This role is open to prospective Player/Coaches to coach and play with Ashbourne’s Leinster League Division 1 senior squad. The candidate should be able to work with the new Head Coach to develop a structure around our team play and to be part of our first panel playing squad.
- Previous coaching would be preferred but not a necessity
- Preferably the candidate should have the ambition or be on the pathway to become accredited as a coach with the IRFU coaching system
- Be a good communicator and adaptable to be able to work with new Head Coach and senior players within squad
- Have played to at least the equivalent of Leinster League Division 1A or higher (AIL would be an advantage)
- Assist the head Coach in developing structures and skill set among our senior players.
- Work closely with Head Coach to develop young talent and build on strengths already in place
- Be able to attract fringe players or new players into club to achieve goals set out by Head Coach.
- To lead and play with the senior panel
All Applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
To apply, put either ‘Head Coach’ or ‘Player/Coach’ in subject line and please email in confidence for the attention of the club Honorary Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 27 May.
All applicants will be contacted by the club Director of Rugby and shortlisted applications will be invited to attend an interview with the announcement of successful candidates to be available to plan and prepare for pre-season training.