Broughton Names Leinster Development XV
September 10, 2021 1:06 pm Marcus Ó Buachalla
Simon Broughton has announced a Leinster Rugby Development XV to face Ulster Rugby in an interprovincial game to be held tomorrow in the IRFU High Performance Centre in Abbotstown.
The game is part of a series of games being played in Abbotstown behind closed doors over the coming weeks to help players who have missed out on so much club and representative rugby over the last 18 months.
It’s a youthful squad but there are a number of players in Broughton’s match day squad from the Leinster Academy and a sprinkling of Energia All-Ireland League experience as well.
His starting XV includes Marcus Hanan, who has been capped by Leo Cullen in the United Rugby Championship (formerly the PRO14), and John McKee who captains the squad.
To team news, former Belvedere College player Dylan O’Grady starts at full back, with Fionn Gibbons on the right wing and Aitzol Arenzana-King on the left.
Gibbons played in the centre for Castleknock College and lit up the Senior Cup matches in 2020 with a number of superb performances for his school, while Balbriggan club man Arenzana-King played for CUS in the Vinnie Murray Cup.
In the centre former Blackrock College student Ben Brownlee lines up alongside Mullingar RFC man Conor Gibney who played in the Shane Horgan Cup with the Midlands team in 2019 and represented the Leinster Rugby U19s last season.
Former Castleknock College scrumhalf Conor Duggan wears the number nine jersey with Kilkenny College’s Charlie Tector outside him at ten.
Hanan and McKee are joined in the front row by Michael McCormack, the St. Mary’s College RFC prop.
Paul Deeny – younger brother of Brian – starts in the second row, with the Wexford Wanderers man joined by St Michael’s College’ Conor Ó Tighearnaigh.
Finally in the back row Portlaoise RFC man Fionn McWey is joined on the flanks by Luke Callinan with Donough Lawlor completing the starting XV.
Leinster Rugby Development XV vs. Ulster Rugby Development XV
15. Dylan O’Grady (Belvedere College)
14. Fionn Gibbons (Castleknock College)
13. Conor Gibney (CBS Mullingar/Mullingar RFC)
12. Ben Brownlee (Blackrock College)
11. Aitzol Arenzana-King (CUS/Balbriggan RFC)
10. Charlie Tector (Kilkenny College/Lansdowne FC)
9. Conor Duggan (St. Vincent’s Castleknock College)
1. Marcus Hanan (Clane RFC)
2. John McKee (Old Belvedere RFC) CAPTAIN
3. Michael McCormack (St. Mary’s College RFC)
4. Paul Deeny (St. Peter’s College, Wexford/Clontarf FC)
5. Conor Ó Tighearnaigh (St. Michael’s College)
6. Fionn McWey (Cistercian College Roscrea)
7. Luke Callinan (Castleknock College)
8. Donough Lawlor (Newbridge College)
16. Howard Noonan (Temple Carrig School)
17. Ben Popplewell (Wexford Wanderers/Blackrock College)
18. Thomas Connolly (DUFC)
19. Ruairí Clarke (Cross & Passion College, Kilcullen/Lansdowne FC)
20. Dylan Ryan (St. Michael’s College/DUFC)
21. Seanan Devereux (St. Mary’s College)
22. Fionn O’Hara (Coláiste Mhuire, Mullingar/Mullingar RFC)
23. Callam O’Reilly (St. Michael’s College)