The Athy boys came into this without lock Tom Henry and centre Ryan Foley. This did not stop them taking control from the kick-off to establish territory and move the ball left and right.


Centre Aaron Rowan was a source of danger, creating the space for left wing Peter Doyle to career over for the first try in the seventh minute.


Out-half Ben Purcell was not immune to putting boot to ball and an intelligent kick forced a lineout for Athy.


The pressure valve was released when they could not connect in the air.


The ground work of second row Edward Owens was good enough for a turnover to keep Athy in the right area.


They were met with strong defence from Wicklow as centres Daniel Rooney and Jamie Noble made their presence felt.


It took a monster breakout from CCM captain Cormac Fenton to turn the tide.


When he was taken down by a high tackle, full-back Aaron Byrne stepped up to fire over the penalty in the 18th minute.


The enterprising attitude of Ardscoil meant they were never slow to move the ball even from a tap penalty.


Their collective approach was countered by the individual threats from CCM, identified by out-half Malachy Stone’s 50-metre break brought to a conclusion by Rowan’s try-saving tackle.


When Wicklow tried to turn the screw, Doyle took the gamble of going for the interception which paid a handsome dividend of seven points from his 80-metre dash and Rowan’s conversion for 12-3 in the 25th minute


There was little time to soak it in as Stone’s weaving run was improved by centre Noble’s cutback against the grain for a try converted by Byrne to narrow the gap to two in the 28th minute.


Immediately, Fenton took off from deep inside his half for a wonder try which took him through and around the defence to capture the lead (15-12) for the first time on half-time.


Wicklow were quickly back into their rhythm, centre Rooney dancing past tacklers and Stone stepping inside for a superb try in the 32nd minute.


It was swinging one way then the other as Rowan bashed to the line and converted to make it a one-point game.


They were back in front when captain Rowan took the ball on and Purcell twisted to the whitewash for 24-10 in the 40th minute.


The Kildare boys turned down a certain three points for Rowan to tap-and-go yet again.


The ruck was recycled for right wing Thomas Keane to fly around the outside for 29-20 in the 47th minute.


CCM were always capable of a piece of individual brilliance, their out-half Stone taking off not once but twice for a remarkable try to leave four points in it.


Straight away, centre Jamie Noble repeated the trick by flirting with the touchline before cutting infield for a try converted by Byrne for 32-29 in the 63rd minute.


It didn’t end there. Rowan was held up over the line as the clock turned red to signal wild celebrations from the Wicklow boys.


At Donnybrook – CHILL MHANTAIN 32 (M Stone, J Noble 2 tries each; C Fenton try; A Byrne pen, 2 cons); ARD SCOIL NA TRIONOIDE 29 (P Doyle 2 tries; A Rowan try, 2 cons; B Purcell, T Keane try each)



15. Aaron Byrne

14. David Tyrell-Browne

13. Daniel Rooney

12. Jamie Noble

11. Caolan Mooney

10. Malachy Stone

9. Fionn Luddy

1. Hal Fitzgerald

2. Andrew Murray

3. Aaron Canterbury

4. Josh Griffin

5. Charlie Cruise

6. Oisin Timmons / Dylan Smyth 51 mins

7. Sean Coffey

8. Cormac Fenton (capt).




15. Padraig Hughes

14. Thomas Keane

13. Gearoid Lynch

12. Aaron Rowan (capt)

11. Peter Doyle

10. Ben Purcell

9. Caoilte Kelly

1. Dawid Pionk

2. Niall Doyle

3. Conor Black / Conor Smithers 55 mins

4. Edward Owens

5. Mark Doyle

6. Liam Lynch

7. Danny Loughman

8. Gearoid Considine


Referee: K Bolger, Leinster Branch