Henshaw Back from Injury to Start for Lions
July 15, 2021 11:41 am Marcus Ó Buachalla
The British and Irish Lions Head Coach, Warren Gatland, has named his team to play the DHL Stormers at Cape Town Stadium this Saturday (kick-off: 5.00pm).
In hugely positive injury news, Robbie Henshaw has recovered from a hamstring issue to take his place at centre, with Tadhg Furlong starting at tighthead prop and Jack Conan also starting at No 8.
The game, live and exclusively on Sky Sports, is the final Tour match before the start of three Tests against World Champions, the Springboks.
“It’s an important game as it’s the final chance for the coaching group to see the players perform prior to the start of the Test Series,” said Gatland.
“For the matchday 23 it’s their last opportunity to stake a claim for a Test place, so I expect to see a highly motivated group of players.
“It is particularly pleasing to be able to name Stuart Hogg in the squad. He’s not had much luck on Lions Tours to date, so it’ll be great to see him cross the whitewash again with the captain’s armband.
“I’m also delighted that Marcus (Smith) will get his first start in a Lions jersey. I’ve been really impressed with his attitude since coming into camp this week; he’s been like a sponge for information.”
It was also confirmed by Gatland that Leinster Rugby hooker Rónan Kelleher would fly out to South Africa today (Thursday) as a formal addition to the touring party having already trained with the Lions when they were based in Jersey.
DHL STORMERS v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
Saturday 17 July 2021
Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town
15. Stuart Hogg – captain (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland) #783
14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #836
13. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822
12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, England)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843
1. Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #840
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
4. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852
5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, England) #845
6. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland) #847
8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839
16. Jamie George (Saracens, England) #819
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #848
19. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, Wales) #761
20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
21. Gareth Davies (Scarlets, Wales) #850
22. Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby, Scotland) #844
23. Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby, Wales) #846