The Lions’ final midweek game finished all-square with a late comeback from the Hurricanes seeing the contest finish 31-31.

There was disappointment from a Leinster perspective particularly as Robbie Henshaw left the game midway through the first half with a shoulder injury.

Speaking after the game, Lions head coach Warren Gatland said: “Henshaw is in a sling. He doesn’t look good. There is a good chance his tour could be over.”

That injury saw the Westmeath man replaced by Leigh Halfpenny, who went to full-back, with Jack Nowell moving to the wing and George North slotting into midfield alongside Jonathan Joseph.

Robbie Henshaw

Before Henshaw’s departure from the game the Lions had already racked up a 10-point lead over the reigning Super Rugby champions.

A Dan Biggar penalty was followed by a Tommy Seymour try a few minutes later, stemming from a well-timed interception from Greig Laidlaw.

Biggar extended the lead with a penalty, but the Hurricanes struck back soon after with a try from Callum Gibbins to make it 7-13.

After Biggar added another three points, the Lions’ scored their second try through North, with the conversion making it 7-23 at the break – the first period a much closer contest than the scoreline suggested.

The ‘Canes wasted no time in responding once the second half got underwway.

The impressive Ngani Laumape crossed for his side’s second in the 41st minute with Jordie Barrett’s conversion making it 14-23.

Barrett missed an opportunity to add three points shortly after, but made no mistake with his next attempt to make it a one-score game.

Just as the Hurricanes were closing in they saw a man sent to the bin – Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi for a high tackle on Nowell.

The Lions took advantage of their numerical superiority with Biggar tacking three points onto the scoreboard and Seymour scoring his second try of the night, making him the Lions’ top try-scorer on the tour with three.

This made it 17-31 with the clock ticking past the 60-minute mark, but there was still time for a late twist.

With 15 minutes to go, Iain Henderson – who’s performance may well warrant an inclusion in the 23 to face the All Blacks on Saturday – was yellow-carded.

Two minutes later Wesley Goosen went over for the Hurricanes’ third try and the comeback was on.

Then Vaea Fifita dived under the posts to make it 29-31, with Barrett’s conversion bringing the sides level.

The Lions came close to snatching the win but Biggar’s drop at goal fell short.

The Lions face the All Blacks in the second Test on Saturday in Wellington (KO 8.35am Irish time).

Lions Fixtures & Results

13-7 win v NZ Provincial Barbarians, Toll Stadium, Whangarei (Saturday, 3rd June, KO 8.35am Irish/7.35pm New Zealand)

22-16 defeat v Auckland Blues, Eden Park, Auckland (Wednesday, 7th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

12-3 win v Crusaders, AMI Stadium, Christchurch (Saturday, 10th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

23-22 defeat v Highlanders, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin (Tuesday, 13th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

32-10 win v Maori All Blacks, Rotorua International Stadium (Saturday, 17th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

34-6 win v Chiefs, FMG Stadium Waikato, Hamilton (Tuesday, 20th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

30-15 defeat v All Blacks, Eden Park, Auckland (Saturday, 24th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

31-31 draw v Hurricanes, Westpac Stadium, Wellington (Tuesday, 27th June, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

v All Blacks, Westpac Stadium, Wellington (Saturday, 1st July, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)

v All Blacks, Eden Park, Auckland (Saturday, 8th July, KO 8.35am/7.35pm)