Ireland U20 team to face Wales in Donnybrook named
February 3, 2016 12:00 am client
The Ireland U-20 team to take on Wales in the opening round of the 6 Nations has been named. The match will take place in Donnybrook Stadium on Friday, 5th February at 7.35pm.
Head Coach Nigel Carolan has named a side that is largely inexperienced at international level with just three players retained from last year’s campaign.
Front-rowers Andrew Porter (Leinster), Adam McBurney (Ulster) and Conan O’Donnell (Connacht) return from last year and all have experience at ‘A’ level for their provinces.
Captain James Ryan will pack down behind them in the second row.
Carolan is looking forward to seeing the next generation of Irish Rugby take to the field on Friday night and is expecting his players to hit the ground running: “We’ve been training well and the players are integrating nicely.
While the majority of the lads taking to the field on Friday will not have played at international level before, they have got good experience at provincial level and this has shown in their preparation over the last number of weeks and they’re all looking forward to getting out there.”
Speaking on the move to Donnybrook for all three home games this season, Carolan said: “We played our final home game in Donnybrook last season and the 4G surface makes for a fast-paced game, regardless of the conditions. Dubarry Park was a great home for the Under-20s in recent seasons and we hope to replicate that support in Donnybrook on Friday night.”
Jacob Stockdale, who is the fourth member of the squad that was involved in last season’s campaign, is involved with Ulster in their rescheduled Guinness PRO12 game and will join up with the squad next week.
Click here for tickets for all three Ireland U20 home games.
Ireland U20 (v Wales U20, Six Nations, Donnybrook Stadium, KO 19.35, Friday, 5th February)
15. Jack Power (UCD / Leinster)*
14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure / Leinster)*
13. Shane Daly (Cork Con / Munster)*
12. Jimmy O’Brien (UCD / Leinster)*
11. Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster)*
10. Johnny McPhillips (QUB / Ulster)*
9. John Poland (Cork Con / Munster)*
1. Andrew Porter (UCD / Leinster)
2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster)
3. Conan O’Donnell (Sligo / Connacht)
4. Peter Claffey (Galwegians / Connacht)*
5. James Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster)* CAPTAIN
6. Cillian Gallagher (Sligo / Connacht)*
7. Will Connors (UCD / Leinster)*
8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster)*
16. Shane Fenton (Young Munster / Munster)*
17. James Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster)*
18. Conor Kenny (Buccaneers / Connacht)*
19. Sean O’Connor (Cashel / Munster)*
20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon / Munster)*
21. Stephen Kerins (Sligo / Connacht)*
22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons)*
23. Conor O’Brien (Clontarf / Leinster)*
*Denotes uncapped at this level