Ireland Women’s team named for 6 Nations opener
February 4, 2016 12:00 am client
The Ireland Women’s side has been named for their first 6 Nations fixture as they welcome Wales to Donnybrook Stadium this Saturday (KO 1pm).
Head Coach Tom Tierney has named a side that features three uncapped players; winger Elise O’Byrne-White (Old Belvedere / Leinster) and hooker Zoe Grattage (Tralee / Munster) will win their first caps on Saturday, with Grattage’s Tralee and Munster teammate, flanker Ciara Griffin hoping to make her Ireland debut from the bench.
The squad also features seven players who won their first caps last November in the Autumn International against England. Aine Donnelly and Mairead Coyne will win their second caps when they run out on Saturday, while Cliodhna Moloney, Lindsay Peat, Fiona Reidy, Ciara Cooney and Mary Healy will all be looking to add a second cap to their collection from the bench.
In all there are ten players who will be involved in a 6 Nations side for the first time and Head Coach Tom Tierney is looking forward to the game.
“It’s very exciting to have so many new players involved in their first 6 Nations game. With some of the girls from last year’s campaign involved with the Sevens at the moment, as well as some retirements over the past few seasons, it gives others the opportunity to pull on the green jersey. We’re now at a stage where we are developing more and more girls who are capable at competing at international level and it’s a great to see.”
Ireland played a Wales selection in a warm-up fixture two weeks ago, and Tierney sees the game as a valuable fixture.
“The game against Wales the other week was good for us in that it allowed us to use 26 players and give them all a run against an international side. The fact that we are facing the same opposition so soon is interesting, as both sides will have worked on particular areas of their games over the past two weeks. We’ve trained well, so we’re now looking forward to putting that all into practice in a full-on test match.”
This season the Ireland Women’s team will play all three of their home fixtures during the 6 Nations in Donnybrook and Tierney is looking forward to playing in the new ground.
“While Ashbourne served us unbelievably well as a venue over the last number of years, the move to Donnybrook, with its central location and 4G pitch is something we are all pleased with. We have a new crop of players coming through and a new stadium so it’s a special time for the women’s game in Ireland and we’re looking forward to getting the campaign underway on Saturday.”
Tickets for all of the Ireland Women’s home games are available from Ticketmaster.
Ireland Women (v Wales Women, Donnybrook Stadium, Saturday, 6th February, KO 1pm)
15. Niamh Briggs (UL Bohemians / Munster) CAPTAIN
14. Elise O’Byrne-White (Old Belvedere / Leinster)*
13. Aine Donnelly (Cill Dara / Leinster)
12. Sene Naoupu (Galwegians / Connacht)
11. Mairead Coyne (Galwegians / Connacht)
10. Nikki Caughey (Railway Union / Ulster)
9. Larissa Muldoon (Skewen)
1. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere / Leinster)
2. Zoe Grattage (Tralee / Munster)*
3. Ruth O’Reilly (Galwegians / Connacht)
4. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere / Leinster)
5. Marie-Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere / Leinster)
6. Paula Fitzpatrick (Toulouse)
7. Claire Molloy (Bristol)
8. Heather O’Brien (Toulouse)
16. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union / Leinster)
17. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union / Leinster)
18. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians / Munster)
19. Ciara Cooney (Railway Union / Leinster)
20. Ciara Griffin (Tralee / Munster)*
21. Mary Healy (Galwegians / Connacht)
22. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere / Leinster)
23. Jackie Shiels (Richmond)