Irish Rugby Team to face Fiji Named
November 10, 2022 2:36 pm Site Editor
Andy Farrell has named the Ireland 23 to take on Fiji on Saturday in Aviva Stadium in the second of three games in the Bank of Ireland Nations Series (KO: 1pm).
As confirmed during the week, Tadhg Furlong will captain the side and in doing so becomes the 109th player to captain Ireland as he makes his 62nd Test appearance in green.
In total there are ten Leinster players in Farrell’s match day squad with Jimmy O’Brien in line to make his first start in green after his debut off the bench last weekend. With a number of changes to the squad, there are five players in the starting side to face Fiji that started games against the Māori All Blacks during the Summer Tour of New Zealand – O’Brien, Stuart McCloskey, Jeremy Loughman, Kieran Treadwell and Nick Timoney.
With O’Brien at full back, Robbie Henshaw will wear the number 13 jersey in the centre and Jamison Gibson-Park will start this weekend having come off the bench against South Africa.
Furlong captains the side from tighthead prop, with Caelan Doris and Jack Conan named in the back row by Farrell.
Max Deegan, who featured against the All Blacks XV last weekend at the RDS Arena and was captain of the Emerging Ireland squad over in South Africa, is named on the bench and is in line for his second cap having made his debut against Wales in February 2020.
Dan Sheehan, Cian Healy and Garry Ringrose are also named on the bench.
Ireland v Fiji – Saturday, Aviva Stadium, 1pm
15. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) 1 cap
14. Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) 3 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 60 caps
12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 7 caps
11. Mack Hansen (Connacht/Galway Corinthians) 7 caps
10. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 36 caps
9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 21 caps
1. Jeremy Loughman (Munster/Garryowen)*
2. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 29 caps
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 61 caps CAPTAIN
4. Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 9 caps
5. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 34 caps
6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 21 caps
7. Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 2 caps
8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 31 caps
16. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 11 caps
17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 119 caps
18. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 3 caps
19. Cian Prendergast (Connacht/Galwegians)*
20. Max Deegan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 1 cap
21. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 5 caps
22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)*
23. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 45 caps
*denotes uncapped player