A large crowd at Newcastle West RFC saw Leinster get off to a strong start and as the men in blue quickly settled into the match.

However, an error at a lineout saw Leinster knock the ball on.

Munster won a penalty from the resulting scrum, scored by their out half John Lillis, to give them a 3-0 lead with 10 minutes played.

Munster grew in confidence as the half wore on and, after another Leinster knock-on, they scored their first try through Kevin Kinnane

The conversion from Lillis extended their lead 10-0 at the end of the first quarter of the game.

Leinster did not let this try knock them as they continued to fight back.

After winning a penalty they broke into Munster’s half, soon finding themselves deep inside Munster’s 22 after a brilliant kick by captain Gavin Kennedy.

It would be another missed opportunity for the men in blue as Munster persisted with a strong defensive line and managed to turn the ball over after Leinster’s throw into the lineout.

The Munster men’s strong defence was a key theme of the encounter, and provided a platform for a clinical attacking game.

A stong carry by Brian McLoughlin put Munster on the front foot and a superb pass to Kinnane sent him over fir his and Munster’s second try of the game.

Lillis was on target again to make it 17-0 at half-time.

Munster started the second half as they ended the first, finding themselves inside Leinster territory early on.

The Leinster defence forced a knock-on but Munster were awarded a penalty in the 43rd minute after Leinster were penalised for not releasing the ball.

Lillis converted his fourth kick of the day to make it 20-0 to Munster.

Lillis soon turned villain and wasshown a yellow card for slowing down the ball at the breakdown.

Kennedy missed with the penalty but with Munster down to 14 men Leinster saw a way back into the game.

The men in blue put the reds under immense pressure after a break from Will O’Brien.

Munster managed to regain possession but they couldn’t keep Leinster out, Liam Caddy going over for the province’s first try of the match, converted by Gavin Kennedy.

Leinster trailed by 13 but the team began to hit their stride and continued to play skilful rugby.

They placed huge pressure on Munster’s defensive line and were awrded another penalty, which Kennedy gratefully slotted to reduce the margin to 10.

When Mark Whelan scored Leinster’s second try it was really game on.

That made it 20-15 with 10 minutes to play after Kennedy missed the conversion.

It was Munster who finished the stronger, however.

A 73rd-minute penalty took their lead out to eight.

Leinster spurned the chance of adding three points to their score. Instead they opted for a lineout which was stolen.

Munster dominated the final exchanges, McLoughlin scoring a brilliant try in the corner at the death.

Leinster lineout in their final match of the series on Saturday, May 13h, in Longford RFC, against Ulster.

Final Score: Munster Juniors 30 Leinster Juniors 15

Junior Interprovincial Table

Position Team Played Won Drawn Lost Pts Diff Points
1 Ulster Juniors 2 2 0 0 46 9
2 Munster Juniors 2 1 0 1 -2 4
3 Leinster Juniors 2 1 0 1 -14 4
4 Connacht Juniors 2 0 0 2 -30 1

Leinster School of Excellence