North Kildare overcame Naas 48-24 in Donnybrook on Monday 2nd May to win the Bank of Ireland Leinster Youths U16 Cup.

The two North Midlands teams knew each other well and their last encounter in the league was a very tight game with Naas prevailing by a mere three points. However the rain held off on the bank holiday Monday and the fast dry pitch suited North Kildare who scored seven tries on the day.
North Kildare started strongly and after five minutes Naas conceded a penalty on their 22 being off side at the breakdown. Full back Thomas Jones opened the scoring when he kicked the penalty. North Kildare continued to apply pressure but Naas held them out for 18 minutes when second row Seamus Milner charged over from 5 metres to score the first try of the day. The conversion hit the post and the score remained at 8-0.
Just a few minutes later North Kildare flanker Conor Duff broke from 25 metres out, cut in and touched down for try number two. The conversion was missed again but at 13-0 North Kildare were looking comfortable. However on 25 minutes Naas had penalty advantage, moved the ball quickly and David Whittaker scored to the left of the posts. The conversion was kicked by Jack Sargeant and at 13-7 Naas were back in the game.
On 28 minutes North Kildare gained the upper hand when winger Jack Gartland received the ball on right wing cut in, crossed the line and scored to the right of the posts to make the conversion easier. Half Time score 20-7.
Just after half time North Kildare stretched their lead to 27-7 when the backs broke left from a ruck on the half way line. Second centre Fergal Waters broke a tackle and rounded the full back to score the first of his two tries. Naas were not giving up though and after a period of pressure hooker Paul Carroll scored off a maul for their second try. Jack Sargeant converted again bring the score to 27-14. Naas were again on the front foot however a short kick was pick up by Thomas Jones. He had little room on the right but jinked a couple of tackles then stepped the fullback at speed and ran in close to the posts to make his own conversion easier. 34-14.
Naas were still not giving up and three minutes later got their third try in the right corner to bring the score to 34-19. Minutes later Naas were on the attack yet again but North Kildare out half Conor Lynch intercepted a pass on his 22 and sprinted to the Naas 10 metre line where he passed to first centre David Lovely. The ball was then moved to Fergal Waters who cross the line unopposed for his second try. 41-19
Then on 50 minutes winger Sean Cosgrave received the ball on the left wing just outside the 22 and with little room to manoeuvre broke two tackles to score North Kildare’s seventh try. Thomas Jones converted from a tight angle to bring his tally to 18 points for the day.
Naas scored a consolation try on 58 minutes but it was North Kildare’s day. Final score 48-24