High scores, away wins and extra-time drama were all packed in as 12 teams saw their Towns Cup dream end with the 12 winners moving on to join the four teams who had byes in the last 16.

The first game of the weekend saw the meeting of Edenderry RFC and Clondalkin RFC under the Edenderry lights on Saturday night.

An entertaining affair, Clondalkin raced out of the blocks with three tries inside the opening 15 minutes from Matt Stapleton, Chris Jebb and Simon King, all converted by the excellent Jebb.

Edenderry fought back but another try from Niall Nolan before half-time left the Dublin club leading 26-13 at the break.

Edenderry landed a penalty and a converted try in the final 20 minutes but in the end it wasn’t enough as Clondalkin advanced.

Wicklow RFC won the Towns Cup last season for the first time in their history but they almost made an immediate surrender of their title on Sunday as Kilkenny led 11-9 until a late Niall Earls penalty saved the day.

Wicklow had to soak up countless phases of pressure at the death before a drop goal attempt from Kilkenny went wide and the final whistle went.

An epic battle saw Wicklow lead 9-3 at half time before a Kilkenny try in the second half left them in the ascendency.

Earls final kick brought his tally to nine points in a hard-fought win.

Portlaoise RFC travelled to Portarlington on Sunday to contest the Battle of Laois.

In the end, it was the away side who got the win on a scoreline of 23-15.

New Zealander Logan Nicholson proved to be the match winner with the out-half accounting for 18 of the 23 points.

Portlaoise led 10-0 at the break after Nicholson converted his own try.

Portarlington came back at them in the second half but another try from winger Eoghan Feane ensured Portlaoise were always comfortable before a late try from the home side narrowed the visitor’s margin of victory.

There was a high-scoring affair in Mullingar RFC as the home side were edged out by Division 1A visitors Gorey RFC.

Gorey were favourites coming into the game and after an early exchange of penalties the crucial first try went to the Wexford men through Ben Horan after he made a super run from inside his own half.

Gorey led 11-6 at half-time and a second try from Stephen Duke gave them an 18-9 lead with 30 minutes to go.

Mullingar replied with a converted try but three more penalties from Gorey had them 27-16 to the good before a late effort from the Westmeath club saw it end 27-23.

The final will take place in Athy RFC this year and there is still a chance that the hosts will be in the showpiece after they came away from New Ross with a 23-13 win after extra-time.

Level on 13 points after 80 minutes, the two sides went at it again.

Athy kept the Wexford men scoreless while adding a further 10 points with a converted try and a penalty.

Trailing at half-time by three points, Athy fell further behind before coming good and forcing extra-time before making no mistake to advance.

Longford were beaten finalists in 2013 at the hands of Tullamore but they got the better of the Offaly club’s second-string on Sunday to advance to round two.

First half tries from Hughbie Connolly got them off to a strong start, with Colm Glynn on form with the boot as they dominated the Tullamore men to record a fine 23-3 win in front of their home support.

Skerries seconds didn’t have it all their own way against Roscrea RFC but they did run out convincing winners.

Level at the break, Skerries utilised their bench in the second half and tries from Barry Cauldwell, Conor Lennox and Robbie Jenkinson saw them ease to a 28-point win.

Arklow RFC also had a big win away to Boyne seconds on Sunday.

Boosted by a strong start, with Dean McCormack landing a penalty, they were also awarded a penalty try which McCormack converted to give them a 10-0 half-time lead.

Boyne got it back to 10-7 but Arklow had all the answers with Eamon Quirke going over from a five-metre push over scrum to give them breathing space in the end.

North Kildare overcame some poor recent league form to kick-off their Towns Cup campaign with a 36-point win away to Midland Warriors.

Their six-try, 42- 6 win included two tries each for Darragh Moran and Tom Satchwell as they kicked on from an 18-6 half-time lead.

Naas seconds travelled to Wexford Wanderers and made no mistake in getting the job done with a 40-5 win.

Five tries in the opening half, including a hat-trick from Andrew Kearney, helped them to a 33-0 lead to put the game to bed.

Scores slowed up in the second half but Steven Kinneavy did manage another try with Cillian Dempsey adding the conversion to give them a comfortable win.

Dundalk also won on the road when they accounted for Co Carlow, 37-10.

The Division 1A League winners from two seasons ago were made work for it by the Carlow men who squandered a lot of chances.

Dundalk went in 13-0 up at half-time and that was extended to 30-0 with three more tries by the time the second half was 15 minutes old.

Carlow pushed to get back into the game but the damage had been done and Dundalk marched on.

Meanwhile Tullow put 10 tries on Newbridge to win 60-0 at home.

The Carlow outfit were flying form as they made light work of the Kildare club, who had no answer for their attacking prowess.

Two tries from Richie Nicholls, along with seven other try scorers, including Ross Hynes who was also in fine kicking form, sent the Carlow men roaring into round two.

Leinster v Edinburgh