Leinster fell to a disappointing 32-24 defeat away to Edinburgh in Friday night’s Magners League clash at Murrayfield…Joe Schmidt Post Match Reaction…

Speaking after the game Leinster Coach Joe Schmidt said: “It was a disappointing effort from us tonight and Edinburgh were a bit more desperate (for the win) than us.

“The intention was there from us, but when they got on top they bullied us. We didn’t play a lot in our half and because of that we couldn’t set a platform. Credit to Edinburgh, they looked after the ball pretty well throughout.

“Johnny (Sexton) trained all week and the last minute change didn’t help, but it was not about one player. We know that we have to roll up our sleeves and work really hard from Monday morning because Munster have been in excellent form so far and it will be a massive challenge for us.”

Chris Paterson kicked the hosts into a 3rd minute 3-0 lead when he slotted home a penalty, before Isa Nacewa struck the first of three successful penalty efforts by the visitors, two by the out-half on 5 and 13 minutes with Rob Kearney launching a huge penalty 10 metres inside his own half.

Leading 9-3 Leinster held the upper hand but a 22nd try from Geoff Cross, after a clever assist from Scotland scrum-half Mike Blair, converted by Paterson, gave the hosts a slender one point advantage.

Nacewa’s third successful penalty of the night on 26 minutes pushed Leinster into a 12-10 lead which they held into the interval despite Tim Visser coming close to scoring in the corner after 34 minutes before he was denied by a thunderous Dominic Ryan tackle.

Edinburgh began the second half strongly and crossed for tries through Visser and Mark Robertson in quick succession, the latter converted by Paterson.

On the hour mark out-half David Blair sealed the bonus point for Edinburgh with a quick tap and go in the corner which he impressively converted to make it 29-12.

Credit to Leinster they didn’t let their heads drop and Luke Fitzgerald expertly found replacement Jamie Heaslip, with Nacewa adding the points, as Leinster mounted a late comeback.

An 80th minute try from Kearney, celebrating his 100th provincial appearance, after he was released by centre Gordon D’Arcy came too late as time ran out and Ian Madigan’s difficult conversion attempt fell wide as Leinster bid to seal a last gasp losing bonus point.

EDINBURGH SCORERS: D. Blair (1 try, 1 penalty, 1 conversion), G. Cross, T. Visser, M. Robertson (1 try each), C. Paterson (1 penalty, 2 conversions)

LEINSTER SCORERS: R. Kearney (1 try, 1 penalty), J. Heaslip (1 try), I. Nacewa (3 penalties, 1 conversion)


15: Chris Paterson
14: Mark Robertson
13: Ben Cairns
12: Alex Grove
11: Tim Visser
10: David Blair
9: Mike Blair

1: Allan Jacobsen
2: Ross Ford
3: Geoff Cross
4: Esteban Lozada
5: Scott MacLeod
6: Scott Newlands
7: Ross Rennie
8: Roddy Grant CAPTAIN


16: Andrew Kelly
17: Kyle Traynor
18: Jack Gilding
19: Craig Hamilton
20: Alan MacDonald
21: Greig Laidlaw
22: Tom Brown
23: John Houston


15: Rob Kearney
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O’Driscoll
12: Gordon D’Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Isa Nacewa (Ian Madigan, 71)
9: Eoin Reddan (Isaac Boss, 60)

1: Heinke van der Merwe (Cian Healy, 51)
2: Richardt Strauss (Jason Harris-Wright, 66)
3: Mike Ross (Simon Shawe, 66)
4: Ed O’Donoghue (Mariano Galarza, 35)
5: Devin Toner
6: Dominic Ryan
7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN (Eoin O’Malley, 74)
8: Stephen Keogh (Jamie Heaslip, 51)

REFEREE: Tim Hayes (WRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Iain Heard, Bob Nevans (both SRU), TMO: Ian Ramage (SRU)