Leinster Rugby bounced back from defeat in style, registering a bonus-point win over Connacht in the United Rugby Championship at the RDS Arena.

They hit the westerners for seven tries, three in the first half followed by an impressive second half salvo.

All the signs pointed towards a Blues backlash. But, it wasn’t one-way traffic in the first 40.

Initially, a Ryan Baird rumble was followed by a misunderstanding between Harry Byrne and Garry Ringrose in midfield.

Connacht needed no encouragement to move the ball through the hands, bringing Mack Hansen into the game, benefitting from a slick Finlay Bealham offload and Jack Carty’s low kick into touch on Leinster’s 22.

The home side moved out of trouble from Dave Heffernan’s high tackle on Josh van der Flier and the flanker’s next carry from a lineout was made redundant by indiscipline at a ruck.

Then, Connacht put together an attack with great variety, drawing a penalty advantage from Cian Healy’s indiscretion.

Carty kicked crossfield for Hansen to field over Jordan Larmour and find grass for the opening try in the left corner in the 15th minute.

Out-half Carty was unlucky not to perfect a 50:22 kick and Leinster moved from deep for Caelan Doris, James Lowe and Healy to hammer out significant yards.

A five-metre lineout from Dan Sheehan to Devin Toner came to nothing. A repeat of that process was turned into a series of drives concluding with Rhys Ruddock’s grounding, Byrne’s conversion nudging Leinster in front in the 24th minute.

Straight away, Oran McNulty’s aerial ability led to a counter, the full-back’s chip getting away from Baird for the concession of a five-metre scrum to Connacht.

Stubborn defence by Harry Byrne on Peter Robb and Max Deegan, temporarily in for Doris, on Bealham set the stall for Leinster to claim a drop out from beneath their posts.

The visitors would not be denied, Carty going for the corner instead of the posts from a penalty.

The out-half’s deft short ball and Sam Arnold’s fine line put the centre over. Carty converted for 12-7 on the half-hour.

Lowe straightened the next Leinster attack. Larmour and van der Flier added to it on the right. Van der Flier carried hard again.

Michael Ala’alatoa was the link man. Garry Ringrose added enough impetus to make the line for Byrne’s conversion to recover the lead.

Wings Hansen and Alex Wootton showed up on the right to cause mayhem. But, Luke McGrath’s quick thinking from a tap penalty had Connacht back-peddling.

Harry Byrne’s clever kick had Wootton and Kieran Marmion scrambling in defence and, subsequently, Byrne’s pass put Sheehan one-on-one with Hansen, the hooker’s footwork a highlight of the half for Leinster’s third try and a 19-12 lead at the interval.

Carty’s restart went directly to touch, allowing Leinster to come forward and tempt McNulty into giving away a lineout.

It was poetry in motion from there, Lowe’s timing of the pass putting Hugo Keenan in space for Larmour to cut back inside Hansen and Robb for the fourth try, converted by Byrne.

A serious scrum penalty and a long angled penalty into the 22 maintained the home side’s momentum, Ruddock taking in the lineout and, also, making the hard yards.

Doris finally breached Connacht’s defence from close range, Byrne slotting another two for 33-12 in the 50th minute.

It wasn’t all attack. Andrew Porter pinched a penalty on the floor. Doris followed suit to win the ball back again.

Ruddock’s acrobatic take at the lineout was added to by Toner’s gain of ground and Baird was awarded the sixth try, converted by Byrne in the 59th minute.

The game appeared in safekeeping however, Connacht had other ideas. Hansen shooting through a gap and Conor Oliver taking a pass to the posts for Carty to convert.

Still, the home side moved menacingly, Tommy O’Brien, Ringrose and Nick McCarthy combining for Deegan to crack Connacht open, replacement Ross Byrne adding the extras in the 76th minute.

The introduction of Josh Murphy midway through the second half saw the forward make his 50th appearance for the province on the night.

Attention for Leinster now turns to Bath at Aviva Stadium on Saturday, 11 December (KO 3.15pm).