Dave Kearney and James Lowe both touched down twice as Leinster Rugby ran out 50-15 bonus point winners over Dragons in rain-soaked conditions tonight.

Brendan Graham reports from the RDS

Kearney took his Guinness PRO14 season’s haul to five tries in three matches, while 20-year-old Academy out-half Harry Byrne marked his first start with a try and five conversions in a man-of-the-match performance.

Michael Bent, with his second score in three games, Kearney and Byrne all touched down to establish a 19-8 half-time lead. Dragons deserved to be closer on the scoreboard but an opportunist Jordan Williams try did keep them in contention.

Nonetheless, Leo Cullen’s men were in rampant form in the second half as efforts from Ronan Kelleher, Kearney, Lowe (2) and replacement Hugh O’Sullivan took them to the half-century mark. Owen Jenkins scored Dragons’ second try from a last-minute turnover.

Settling the quicker of the sides, Leinster pressed from a lineout won by captain Devin Toner. Dragons did well to hold the maul at bay but Bent was able to burrow over from a close-in ruck, eight minutes in.

The increasingly-influential Rory O’Loughlin went close – a knock-on denied them – before Sam Davies opened the visitors’ account with a 19th-minute penalty, rewarding an initial surging break from Taine Basham.

A slick move out to the right wing saw Leinster respond with their second try, Byrne and O’Loughlin releasing Scott Penny up the touchline and Kearney timed his support run to perfection as he gobbled up Penny’s looping inside pass to make it 12-3.

The margin was down to four points after a scrappy phase of play resulted in Williams diving over in the left corner. Dragons managed to advance into Leinster’s 22, and although the ball went loose, Jenkins got his boot to it ahead of Jimmy O’Brien and the well-placed full-back snapped it up to score.

Leinster’s third try arrived when Byrne’s close-range run-in from a Jamison-Gibson Park pass ended with the Ireland Under-20 Grand Slam winner scoring his second in the senior shirt after a TMO check.

He also converted his own touchdown, and the home crowd were treated to a rampant second half display from the province. They racked up five tries and 31 points in a tremendous 21-minute spell.

Young hooker Kelleher piled over from a 43rd-minute lineout maul to register the bonus point. Just three minutes later, Kearney darted forward from a Byrne cross-field kick, and some terrific support play from Conor O’Brien and Penny allowed Kearney to cut in past three defenders and complete his classy brace.

Cullen’s charges hammered home their advantage with three more tries – all converted by Byrne. Ryan Baird, another first-time starter, and prop Jack Aungier, who made his debut off the bench, also played their part as they left Dragons trailing in their wake.

O’Loughlin and Jimmy O’Brien used some deft footwork and a draw-and-pass to release Lowe for try number six, before O’Loughlin’s kick through went loose from the retreating Davies and O’Sullivan swooped in to score.

Early in the final quarter, Lowe’s second of the night saw the powerful winger galloping clear after Williams had taken his eye off a pass and turned over possession near halfway.

Determined defending near their own line saw Leinster continue to frustrate Dragons. Replacement Max Deegan’s textbook tackle denied Basham near the right corner, but the Welshmen gained some consolation when Luke Baldwin and Adam Warren combined to send Jenkins over to the right of the posts.