Hat-trick hero Cian Kelleher propelled Leinster to their sixth straight bonus-point victory in the Guinness PRO14 at the RDS Arena.

Dan Leavy made his first start for Leinster in 18 months after being carefully managed through three appearances from the bench.

The Ireland flanker received the kick-off only for the Blues to misfire moving from deep. Hooker James Tracy had to clear up loose play close to the line to keep the Scots out.

That man Leavy powered through Mark Bennett in the tackle and carried hard from Tracy’s pop pass for Luke McGrath to punt long into the Edinburgh 22.

The long arms of Devin Toner were good for a blockdown in making life difficult for Henry Pyrgos and Scott Penny’s low body angle forced Luke Crosbie into giving up a penalty.

Leinster had position and they went quickly from Toner’s take before they couldn’t keep their feet at the ruck in support of Michael Bent’s burst.

Just when Edinburgh moved into a menacing position, hooker David Cherry overshot the runway at lineout time. Quick as a flash, the home side whipped the ball left for Jimmy O’Brien to speed up the tramline.

The full-back’s long teasing kick was recovered by Leavy. Scott Penny won the gain line, Leavy was the link and O’Brien tickled another kick through for Dave Kearney to pounce for the lead in the 14th minute.

The improvement in Leinster’s scrum in recent weeks was reflected in a penalty that Harry Byrne sent to touch.

Leinster defied the poor conditions to keep the ball moving along their three-quarters, Dave Kearney scooting up the left to feed McGrath for a sweet score, converted by Ciaran Frawley in the 22nd minute.

The chasm in skills was highlighted by Edinburgh’s basic errors which led to another Leinster scrum, the front row churning out a penalty. This time, the visitors were resolute in defence Cherry and James Johnstone’s two-man tackle shaking the ball loose from Toner.

The invention of out-half Byrne’s slick pass opened the door for Frawley to threaten, Kearney was secure under a high ball and Frawley had to be alert to rescue a dangerous situation as Edinburgh’s aggression forced the issue.

No clear release in the tackle allowed Nathan Chamberlain to kick three points in the 32nd minute.

Leinster full-back O’Brien just about tamed Pyrgos’ latest high ball to the sky and referee Craig Evans continued to whistle for ruck infringements when Edinburgh sealed off the ball.

Toner guaranteed the lineout and the forwards were eager to take the ball up, Leavy, Tracy and Rhys Ruddock prominent ahead of Leavy being held up over the line by prop Pierre Schoeman.

They came again from a tap penalty. Tracy took off and Peter Dooley pounded out the last metre with Toner and Penny in tow, Frawley’s extras taking it out to 19-3 in the 38th minute.

The bonus-point soon followed, smart handling from Penny and Frawley putting McGrath in behind, the scrum-half rounding Jack Blain and Frawley’s conversion concluding the first-half.

The last thing Edinburgh needed was a slow start to the second period. But, Leinster transitioned with lightning speed into attack, Kelleher going close on the right. The ball was recycled for Leavy to crash over for another seven points.

Eroni Sau gambled on an interception and lost. It was considered a deliberate knock-on by referee Evans and the wing was binned.

Byrne was pinpoint in his accuracy of a crossfield ball for Kelleher to collect his first try in the 49th minute.

Then, centre Frawley surveyed his options and blasted between defenders to take Leinster up to midfield where the ruck broke down.

However, they exposed Edinburgh’s lack of numbers from Dan Sheehan’s first lineout dart as O’Brien flung a missile of a pass to Kelleher for his second touchdown in five minutes, Frawley arrowing the conversion to extend the lead to 42 points.

There was still the need to stay connected in defence. Frawley scythed down the hard-charging Johnstone and corralled Sau on his return. Liam Turner got to grips with Jamie Hodgson, Frawley snagged Ally Miller and Michael Milne closed down Chris Dean.

Leinster were pinned on their own line where miraculous collective defence was eventually broken by Nic Groom’s quick thinking for Chamberlain to convert in the 69th minute.

Leinster redoubled their efforts. Ryan Baird’s footwork was the key to hard yards made. The impressive Sheehan was on target at the lineout and on hand to drive over from short range without grounding the ball.

The accurate passing of David Hawkshaw, wonderful hands of O’Brien and breaking ability of Penny created the room for Kelleher to clinch his hat-trick bringing Leinster to a half-century of points.