Leinster Rugby Women and Harlequins Women played out an 11-try thriller at Twickenham Stadium in a historic first-ever women’s club game at the home of English Rugby.

Over 7,500 supporters were in Twickenham to witness the historic fixture following the Harlequins Men’s Gallagher Premiership game against Leicester Tigers.

Leinster had much of the possession in the opening five minutes with neither side grabbing a hold of the game in the opening exchanges.

A strong carry from Lindsay Peat brought Ben Armstrong’s side into the Quins 22 but a pass out wide went to touch.

Leinster came again but were penalised for not releasing by referee Joy Neville, however, Linda Djougang did well to keep Quins’ kick to touch in play.

Despite Leinster’s good start, it was Quins who opened the scoring when England international Jess Breach went over on the left wing, with Ellie Green converting.

Leinster responded well, coming quick off the line with Michelle Claffey blocking a kick to keep Harlequins pinned in their half.

But when Quins got another chance they took it, Breach breaking down the left again to add her second.

Again, Leinster responded well and worked their way back into the game after the concession of two tries in three minutes.

When Ailsa Hughes took a quick tap penalty, Peat was on hand to carry into Quins’ 22.

Daisy Earle took possession and, with the help of Linda Djougang and Victoria Dabanovich-O’Mahony, powered over for Leinster’s first try.

But just as Leinster got within touching distance, Quins pulled away again.

Green sent a grubber into the Leinster in-goal and Rachael Burford was the first to it to add Quins’ third.

Quins struck again for their fourth when some big carries from their forwards drew in the Leinster defence and Anna Caplice had the space to finish out wide.

The spectators that stayed after the Harlequins Men’s game against Leicester Tigers were being treated to a cracking back-and-forth contest at Twickenham.

A moment of real quality came next when Sene Naoupu’s sensational offload sent Djougang over after a powerful carry from Meabh O’Brien brought Leinster into opposition territory.

Naoupu was driving her team forward again when her break nearly sent Peat over from halfway but the Quins defence scrambled to stop her inches from the line.

Just as Leinster looked to be closing the gap, Breach struck again for her hat-trick on the stroke of half-time to give Quins a 33-12 lead at the break.

Peat got her try when she powered over after Claffey collected an offload from Earle to bring Leinster up to the Quins five-metre line.

The English side went to their lineout maul for their next score with hooker Amy Cokayne applying the finishing touch.

Just as she did in Leinster’s Interprovincial Championship-winning campaign, Peat looked a threat every time she got the ball in hand.

Her break from halfway brought Leinster into the Quins 22 with Dabanovich-O’Mahony burrowing over for the game’s tenth try.

Quins added another right at the end with Fiona Fletcher bagging the game’s eleventh and final try to end a historic contest at Twickenham.