Holders Roscrea maintained their remarkable push for back-to-back Bank of Ireland Leinster Schools Senior Cups at Donnybrook on Tuesday.

Clongowes came into this without the influential Sean McCrohan, David Jeffares deputising in the middle of the back row.
They had first use of the wind and the kick-off was brilliantly retrieved by wing Fiachra Lynch. This was amended by Alan Tynan’s interception two phases on.
The out-half put Roscrea on the front-foot with a grubber, but was then caught in possession from a monster clearance by scrum-half Joseph Murphy.
The penalty was awarded and Benjamin O’Shea hit home for 3-0 in the third minute.
Clongowes were quickly back on the attack when full-back Michael Silvester split the midfield for full-back Conor Kelly to make the tackle.      
When Roscrea did have the ball, the boys in Purple & White were coming up hard in defence and forcing the errors, Patrick Nulty ripping the ball away from Michael Milne for a turnover which nine Murphy over-cooked.
There were nice lines from Clongowes off fly-half Thomas Monaghan before a low kick forced a lineout out of Conor Kelly. The lineout was overthrown and Jeffares was pulled up for a late hit.  

Roscrea made their first foray into the Clongowes half where prop Dylan Murphy spilled the ball for a loss of ground and Tynan got isolated to concede a penalty.
There was ingenuity to what Clongowes were doing and hooker Daniel Sheehan made the initial dent that accrued the first try for full-back Michael Silvester.
Centre O’Shea converted from wide on the left for 10-0 in the 17th minute.
The tide of territory would have to turn or this would turn ugly on the scoreboard.    
The wide passing of the inside backs and fine footwork of centre Philip O’Shea drew a penalty for Ros’.
The maul was activated twice, scrum-half Keith Kavanagh breaking right for Sam Hastings to show impressive strength.
There followed a period of incessant try-line pressure where Clongowes repelled Simon Meagher and any number of his forward colleagues.
The deception of Tynan almost did the trick off the back of his forwards, referee Paul Haycock calling play back for a penalty.
They went for touch and Dylan Murphy held the ball at the back of a super patient maul to halve the deficit on the half-hour, Kelly’s conversion slipping just left of the uprights.  
A nifty carry from Silvester and the brute force of Nulty squeezed out a penalty advantage before prop Murphy crushed Jack Moore in the tackle.
The pain was worth it for captain Moore when O’Shea made it 13-5 in the 33rd minute in what was a fair reflection of the trend of play for the first-half.  
The next score would be crucial, if not decisive.

The fact both Roscrea’s kickers were left footed hindered their progress from a penalty close to the touchline.
A beastly burst from Milne provided the platform Roscrea wasted when Jack Canning’s surge was stopped by a side-entry into the ruck.  
Clongowes moved out of danger with a sure-footed maul of their own and a superb kick from Murphy which gave them a foothold.
They were on the verge of something wonderful from a maul when prop Edward Carroll lost his support to give up a penalty.
This was not the end of it. They were probing through their patterns when Roscrea’s Eoghan Maher picked up a loose ball and simply took off.
The hooker found Daniel Keane with an unlikely long, looping pass and the ball was transferred with assurance for lock Fineen Wycherley and tight-head Murphy to put loose-
head Milne over for Kelly to leave one-point in it in the 49th minute.     
The big carriers started to find the front-foot a touch more readily for Roscrea until a breakdown in play had Tynan scurrying back to locate a loose ball.
The Clongowes game intelligence kicked in. The space was right and they went there for wing Fiachra Lynch to reach out for the line and restore a six-point lead.    
It was Roscrea’s responsibility to reel them in. Once again, the maul became a factor, first on the left to make room for Keane on the right.
The second Clongowes man into the ruck was lucky to escape a yellow card even though it did cough up a penalty for the maul to move again and Milne to find the line from close range. 
Then, Roscrea got the bounce of the ball when Tynan’s penalty bobbled all the way to within five metres of the line.
Their good friend the maul was triggered for flanker Brian Diffley to ground the ball and Kelly made a stunning touchline conversion for 24-18 and the lead for the first time in the 61st minute.    
It was far from finished as Silvester came charging away down the left and Carroll had to have the ball shaken out by Jack Culligan’s front-on tackle.
As the rain increased in intensity, Clongowes kept the ball in hand to find a penalty and a good touch-finder from O’Shea.
The tension was rocketing. Their maul claimed another penalty. O’Shea took them to within five metres of victory.  
It all boiled down to will power.
Clongowes had the will, Carroll carrying on one leg; Roscrea the power to force a knock-on from ferocious contact.  

Buy your Bank of Ireland  Leinster Schools Cup Final tickets here.
At Donnybrook – CISTERCIAN COLLEGE ROSCREA 24 (M Milne 2 tries; B Diffley, D Murphy try each; C Kelly 2 cons); CLONGOWES WOOD COLLEGE 18 (M Silvester, F Lynch try each; B O’Shea 2 pens, con).
Roscrea: Conor Kelly; Daniel Keane, Philip O’Shea, Sam Hastings, Joe Murphy; Alan Tynan, Keith Kavanagh; Michael Milne, Eoghan Maher, Dylan Murphy, Fineen Wycherley, Aaron Murphy, Brian Diffley, Jack Canning, Simon Meagher (capt).
Replacements: Ben Hyland for O’Shea ht; Aaron Browne for A Murphy 40 mins; Jack Culligan for Canning 46 mins. 
Clongowes Wood:  Michael Silvester; Fiachra Lynch, Miles O’Connor, Benjamin O’Shea, Reinis Lemess; Thomas Monaghan, Joseph Murphy; Joseph Martin, Daniel Sheehan, Edward Carroll, Jack Moore (capt), Florence McCarthy, Patrick Nulty, Sean McMahon, David Jeffares.
Replacements: Andrew Kelly for Jeffares 41 mins; Tadhg Dooley for Sheehan, Gareth Graham for Martin, Brian Maher for Monaghan all 66 mins.
Referee: Paul Haycock, Leinster Branch.