Leinster Rugby, with support from Dublin Institute of Technology, is seeking to appoint a Rugby Development Officer. The post will work with student clubs to increase participation opportunities within Rugby at all levels…
Applications are invited from individuals with experience in coaching and club development and a sound knowledge of delivery at schools or third level education.
Period of Contract: Sep 2011 – May 2012 (with a view to being extended)
Hours: 20-22 hours per week
Job specification and Duties
Overall Purpose of Position:
The aim of the post is to develop and improve all aspects and levels of the sport of Rugby in DIT, working as part of the DIT Sports & Recreation Service Team, in partnership with Leinster Rugby.
The successful candidate will be involved in project work in partnership initiatives involving Leinster Rugby, local rugby clubs, local authorities and local schools where appropriate.
The Development Officer will be employed by Leinster Rugby.
• Working as part of the Sports & Recreation Service team to Promote the game of rugby football at DIT
• Increase participation levels in all aspects of DIT Rugby and increase player base through delivery of participation opportunities e.g. social rugby, blitz days, intra mural competitions etc.
• Improve playing/ performance standards and provide support to the DIT Rugby club.
• To establish Women’s Rugby and Tag rugby in DIT at a recreational and competitive level, providing coaching support as required
• Support the competitive DIT rugby teams and assist in the selection or nomination of appropriately qualified coaches
• To develop links with local schools and clubs to promote rugby at DIT, and identify prospective students to play rugby for DIT
• To work with the DIT Sports & Recreation Service to identify potential rugby Sports scholarship applicants and co-ordinate the nomination, selection, and recruitment process.
• Ensure that Rugby is run effectively at DIT and encourage best practice, by providing guidance to student officers.
• Encourage and promote the involvement and development of Volunteers in DIT – develop and strengthen the DIT Rugby Club Structures, provide opportunities for students and staff to attain appropriate coaching/refereeing qualifications etc
• Complete regular and ad hoc reports are requested.
• Appraise and advise of progress to agreed targets as outlined in an agreed Strategic Plan.
• Maintain links with the Head of Sports / Sports and Recreation Officer (SRO) to develop/enhance the College experience for students on scholarship.
• Organise and arrange use of external Rugby facilities and pitches for DIT
• Organise the appointment of Referees for College matches in association with the IRFU Colleges Development Officer and Leinster Rugby
• Advise re Disciplinary issues
Applications should be submitted using a CV and sent to:
Community Rugby Manager
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 7th September 2011
Please note this is not a Dublin Institute of Technology appointment.