Seven Leinster Players in Ireland XV
June 12, 2014 12:00 am client
Ahead of the second and final Test of the summer tour, Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt has made eight personnel changes and one positional switch to the side that beat the Pumas 29-17 in Resistencia last Saturday.
Devin Toner also comes back into the starting line-up, rejoining captain Paul O’Connell in the second row. O’Connell’s Munster colleague Dave Kilcoyne is set for his second start in 10 Tests in the front row.
Rob Kearney replaces Felix Jones at full-back with both wingers Andrew Trimble and Simon Zebo retained from the opening Test win last weekend.
Fergus McFadden is promoted from the bench to wear the number 13 jersey with Darren Cave switching to inside centre. It will be McFadden’s first start at outside centre since the 2012 Six Nations game against Wales.
Eoin Reddan comes in at scrum half some seven years on from his first start in green during the 2007 summer tour to Argentina.
Leinster’s Noel Reid could make his first appearance in the green shirt of Ireland this Saturday as he is named on the bench with two other uncapped players – Ulster hooker Rob Herring Munster prop James Cronin.
The second Test will take place at Estadio José Fierro in Tucumán and will be televised live on Sky Sports 2 HD (coverage begins at 7.30pm).
IRELAND Team & Replacements (v Argentina, Estadio José Fierro, Tucumán, Summer Tour, Saturday, June 14, kick-off 3.40pm local time/7.40pm Irish time):
15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 54
14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 56
13. Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 27
12. Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 6
11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 7
10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 44
9. Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 54
1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 9
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 76
3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 40
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 16
5. Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 93 (capt)
6. Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 2
7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 15
8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 66
16. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) *
17. James Cronin (Dolphin/Munster) *
18. Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 9
19. Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 11
20. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 3
21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 28
22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) 9
23. Noel Reid (Clontarf/Leinster) *
* Denotes uncapped player