The Old Pavilion at Old Belvedere…
October 8, 2010 12:00 am client
The scene is changing at Anglesea Road. The old Pavilion has been demolished to make way for a new state of the art Gymnasium…
This corrugated building proudly stood and served the needs of the Club for over 60 years. Old Belvedere purchased the ground in October 1944 and only took possession in 1945 due to the fact that the Irish Army were in occupation during the emergency.
Planning permission was applied for and granted for the erection of temporary structure incorporating four dressing rooms and was completed in January 1949. The new facilities were first used on the 20th February 1949 for a game against Blackrock.
The old structure was in full use until the new Pavilion was completed in February 1962. The Eddie Hackett golf school took up residence in the old Pavilion and in the early 1970s a first aid and medical room was included.
A number of our senior members have shared their memories of the old Pavilion. Players today would find it very difficult to understand how wonderful and comfortable this structure was in the late 1940s.
At that time, many club players would have had limited experience of shower facilities at the College ground at Jones Road and the basins of cold water provided at Cabra. The corrugated pavilion was indeed luxurious in those days.
As mentioned above the opening game was against Blackrock RFC and Gerry O’Brien, the school head prefect, assisted in the raising of the Club flag outside the entrance to the new pavilion. Gerry later played for the Club with distinction and was President for the 1975/77 seasons.
The pavilion was used by many great Old Belvedere players among them Internationals Karl Mullen, Kevin Quinn, Louis Crowe, Brendan Quinn, Mick Dargan and Tony O’Reilly.
In recent years the old building was used as a Gymnasium and a weights room and for a short period as a medical room.
Old Belvedere is committed to seeking excellence in all its activities including the provision of state of the art facilities for its members. A new modern gymnasium is under construction on the site of the old Pavilion.
The many memories associated with the old structure will surely endure and the new structure will, it is hoped, serve the needs of coming generations of Belvo players.