VACANCY: Head of Athletic Performance
May 9, 2016 12:00 am client
The IRFU are now inviting applications for the position of Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster. The successful candidate will manage and lead strength and conditioning coaches in the design, implementation and on-going evaluation of the Leinster Rugby S&C Programme, as sanctioned by the IRFU. In addition, they will ensure alignment between the academy and senior development programmes as well as alignment between provincial and national team programming for all national team players.
This position is being offered on a three year fixed-term, full time basis and is based in Dublin. To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter of no longer than one page to Eoin Ward, HR Generalist at email@example.com. Please note that the closing date for applications is strictly Friday, 20th May 2016 at 14:00.
Round 1 of interviews will take place on Thursday, 26th May 2016.
For a full job description, please see below.
POST TITLE: Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster
ROLE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION
- Manage and lead strength and conditioning coaches in the design, implementation and on-going evaluation of the Leinster Rugby S&C Programme, as sanctioned by the IRFU;
- Ensure alignment between the academy and senior development programmes;
- Ensure alignment between provincial and national team programming for all national team players.
Operational: Head Coach, Leinster Rugby
Functional: Head of Athletic Performance & Science, IRFU
DIRECT REPORTS (in conjunction with the Head Coach, Leinster Rugby)
- Senior Strength and Conditioning Coaches
- Senior Sports Scientist
- Senior Performance Nutritionist (operational report)
- Academy Strength & Conditioning Coaches
- The Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster will report functionally to the Head of Athletic Performance & Science, IRFU on matters relating to the attainment of key performance indicators (KPI’s) both provincially and nationally, and with regard to the principle methods, management and application of the S&C programme;
- The Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster will report to the provincial Head Coach on an operational basis ensuring effective and efficient operation of the professional S&C programme;
- The Head of Athletic Performance, Leinster will work closely with the IRFU National Team Head of Athletic Performance around the programming and management of national team players;
- Provincial S&C Coaches;
- Provincial Physiotherapists;
- Provincial Coaching Staff and Team Management;
- Academy Manager, Leinster and High Performance Manager, IRFU;
- Provincial Office Staff;
- IRFU Athletic Performance staff.
KEY QUALITIES | ESSENTIAL:
- Recognised degree or Higher National Diploma in physical education, human movement or exercise and sports science;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a senior fitness position within a professional rugby environment;
- High level of knowledge around the physical, psychological, technical (position specific), and tactical (style of play) demands associated with Rugby;
- High level of knowledge around the profiling and screening of athletic qualities;
- Excellent coaching and programming skills around injury prevention (relative to the demands of Rugby) and return to play/perform criteria (relative to different injury types)
- Excellent coaching and programming skills around the development of plyometric ability, linear speed (sprinting), multidirectional speed (COD/Reactive Agility), and Rugby specific movement skill integration;
- Excellent coaching and programming skills around the development of Rugby specific conditioning, specifically as it relates to the functional integration of conditioning within the context of practice;
- Excellent coaching and programming skills around the development general and specific strength and power;
- Excellent coaching and programming skills around the development of recovery and regeneration plans;
- Excellent ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team and share responsibility for player development and programme management;
- Excellent people management and leadership skills;
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills;
- High level of self-awareness and overall emotional intelligence.
KEY QUALITIES | DESIRABLE:
- Sports science experience around the collection and management of GPS data;
- Sports science experience around player monitoring and workload management;
- Recognised certification in S&C related competence (e.g., NSCA, UKSCA, ASCA, etc.);
- Recognised First Aid and CPR certification;
- Excellent computer literacy skills.
- Responsible for delivering an integrated strength & conditioning and player monitoring & management plan to the professional/national players in the Leinster branch that aligns with the methodological principles set forth by the IRFU’s Head of Athletic Performance & Science;
- Lead and coordinate a team of S&C Coaches and Sport Scientists to ensure all players receive individual development programmes, monitoring and reporting on pre-season / in-season preparation;
- Ensuring alignment between sub-academy and academy development programmes, academy and senior development programmes, and between provincial and national team requirements;
- Meeting KPI’s for professional player development;
- Working closely with the IRFU and Leinster based support staff (including coaching, medical and physiotherapy staff) in implementing an integrated professional player programme;
- Implementation of the IRFU’s national player development programme in conjunction with the IRFU’s Head of Athletic Performance for the National Team;
- Assisting with national squad preparation during pre-season and in-season as directed by IRFU’s Head of Athletic Performance for the National Team;
- Attending and assisting with IRFU workshops, in-service meetings, professional development courses/workshops, and other IRFU supported workshops;
- Assisting in the delivery of coach and player education programmes;
- To be aware of and to implement IRFU nutrition policies;
- To be aware of and to attain the performance measures set for the position;
- To lead and facilitate the development of all direct reports.
- Establish and achieve set KPI’s in conjunction with the Head Coach at Leinster and the IRFU’s Head of Athletic Performance & Science;
- Maintaining effective working relationships with various staff within provincial branch and the IRFU;
- Carry out duties and responsibilities to an effective and efficient standard
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The following KPI’s are general. Specific targets will be set for your role during agreed meetings with the Head of Athletic Performance & Science and the Head Coach. The meetings will also include an appraisal and review of the attainment of the KPI’s set at previous meetings. An end of year review will also take place where the duties and responsibilities will be fully appraised.
- Manage the planning and implementation of a comprehensive periodised plan of development for professional/national players in conjunction with the provincial/national support staff;
- Align with the IRFU Head of Athletic Performance & Science on all periodised programmes for provincial and national team players;
- Ensure all monitoring and reporting procedures are fulfilled for province and IRFU;
- Organise and implement player performance reviews;
- Complete regular progression monitoring of players within the programme;
- Ensure that the programme of physical development is integrated and aligned with the player’s rugby development demands;
- Ensure an excellent level of performance in all areas of strength and conditioning across strength, power, speed-agility, injury prevention, conditioning, and recovery;
- Manage the provincial strength and conditioning staff to ensure a best-practice approach is achieved in terms of the content and delivery of all programmes at senior, academy and Elite Player Development Squads (NTS);
- Manage the delivery of the nutrition programme in conjunction with the provincial nutritionist in line with IRFU policy to ensure best-practice delivery for senior, academy and Elite Player Development Squads (NTS);
- Work closely with the IRFU Head of Athletic Performance & Science to ensure that the plans in place serve the players well for both their international and provincial duties.
The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer.