Vacancy: Head S&C Coach, Leinster Academy
January 28, 2016 12:00 am client
The IRFU would like to invite applications for the position of Head Academy Strength & Conditioning Coach, Leinster Rugby.
Reporting to the Head of Fitness at Leinster Rugby and the IRFU, the Head Academy S&C Coach will:
- Manage the S&C development and progression of academy players for the professional game according to Individual Performance Plans as agreed by the IRFU HP Manager & Leinster Academy Manager;
- Ensure effective delivery of S&C support for the Leinster Academy players;
- Oversee the delivery of fitness testing according to the IRFU test protocols and timetable for the Leinster Academy;
- Contribute to the overall performance of the Leinster Fitness department through alignment, effective S&C programming and delivery.
The successful candidate will have:
- A recognised degree or Higher National Diploma in Physical Education, Human Movement or Sports Science or equivalent;
- A recognised Professional strength and conditioning certification;
- A minimum of five years’ strength and conditioning experience in professional rugby or high performance sport environment;
- A verifiable record of programme design and delivery of physical development programmes for adolescent, adult rugby players and or athletes;
- An understanding of training science and data management and the application of these to current strength and conditioning practices in high performance sport;
- Practical coaching experience across all the elements of high performance strength and conditioning;
- The ability to work within a team and coordinate both full-time and part-time strength and conditioning colleagues;
- Effective time management and the proven ability to work independently;
- The ability to interface effectively with people at all levels and the competence to manage, motivate and develop relationships;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent Computer literacy skills;
- The ability to realise and lead the national and provincial vision.
- A post graduate degree in a sport or exercise science related area;
- A verifiable record of delivering strength and conditioning support and programme leadership for a high performance professional rugby team as a full-time staff member;
- Published research in the area of performance science, strength and conditioning or a related performance area;
- Recognised First Aid and CPR certification.
General responsibility include:
- Design, deliver and coordinate the Leinster Academy strength and conditioning programmes.
- Work with other professional staff including Academy Manager, Academy Physiotherapist and Performance Nutritionist to drive individual performance outcomes.
- Ensure alignment of Academy programme to the needs of the senior team in Leinster and IRFU standards to ensure player KPI achievement.
- Coordinate the Leinster Academy annual fitness testing according to IRFU protocols and testing schedule.
- Capture, store and manage all fitness test and training data and ensure that it is reviewed and informs strength and conditioning support for Leinster Academy Players.
- Responsible for the design and delivery of all fitness, recovery and game preparation elements for the Leinster Academy.
- Portray a competent and professional image of the Leinster Rugby and the IRFU on behalf of the Fitness department
- Appropriate coordination and leadership of Academy strength and conditioning and rehabilitation staff.
- Develop alignment and coordination in the strength and conditioning programmes between the Leinster Academy, Sub-Academy and National Talent Programme through effective communication and relationship building.
- Deliver strength and conditioning support to the senior professional programme as and when required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the implementation of the Academy strength and conditioning programmes as agreed in their Individual Performance Plans.
- Systematically review and report performance profiles for all Academy players.
- Devise effective individualised periodised plans for each Academy player specific to their development needs.
- Manage the training load information, the daily monitoring process and communicate any issues relating to player welfare to the relevant rugby, physiotherapy, medical, nutrition and or strength and conditioning staff.
- Manage and communicate the Academy training schedule to all players and related staff.
- Liaise regularly with the Sub-Academy S&C staff to ensure appropriate programme alignment and prescription to the needs of the Academy and senior programme.
- Attend and contribute to workshops, in-service meetings and professional development courses/workshops and other supported workshops as directed by Head of Fitness, Leinster.
- Assist in the delivery of coach and player education programmes.
This full time position is being offered on a two year fixed-term contract basis. The position is based at Leinster Rugby, UCD Belfield, Dublin.
To apply for the above position, please email your CV to Eoin Ward, HR Generalist at email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is strictly Friday, 12th February 2016 at 13:00.
Interviews for this position will take place on Monday, 22nd February 2016.
The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer.